Sunday, September 9, 2007

iPhone, you phone, we all phone

Okay, after the $200 price drop, I caved and bought an iPhone. I'd been wanting one since trying one in the AT&T store a while back. At first I thought the phone was overhyped but after using it for about 20 minutes, I realized I was holding the tech equivalent of "nature's perfect food." Steve and his Apple geniuses have smashed competition with this nearly flawless convergent device.

I had been using a Samsung Blackjack previously and it was good for texting and as a phone but the web browser which is the heartbeat of the world now - was crap. It would just lock up for no reason. Loading was painfully slow and navigating was virtually impossible. Pages designed for the mobile platform were BORING. So I kept using it because it was better than nothing but not by a whole lot.

The iPhone is  different beast. The screen is beautiful, the web is - well - the web. It taps into my wifi in my home when I'm at home and so it is lightning fast. I have yet to try it in the wild (I believe some of my Blackjack problems were the "Edge" network).

So I am enthused about the possibility that this device will "liberate" me from being a laptop lugger and allow me to mobilize my life yet remain connected to the rest of most of the world.

No comments: