Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More on the Amazon Kindle and Screens.....

In my customary opine first, bother to get the facts later style - I did do due diligence on the Kindle last night after I predicted that it will win the browser wars. After much research I stand by that conclusion with all the certainty of a United States government that will actually do something for not to the American people.

No really - I still believe it and here's why. I found a quote from Jeff Bezos who was answering critics who say you can read books on your iPhone, etc. He said essentially that no one who spends a great deal of time doing an activity will mind buying a device designed for the job. I.E. the form factor and screen are a better read than your phone. I have to go with him on this. First, I don't want to miss a call from a client because I read "The Fountainhead". My cell battery is a precious commodity. Second, my eyes can't take it. I bought two physical paper books (yes 2) earlier this week so I could have them with me and read at leisure. If I had had the Kindle, I could have probably saved a significant amount off the price of the paper, saved a few trees, had a smaller carbon footprint (YES I believe electronic delivery in total uses less power than creating and delivering a paper copy), and had a lighter more convenient way to read the book.

Okay before you start to think Amazon is paying me, let me give you a few of the downside points.

The screen is 600x800 and the format of the book is a limited HTML coding. You can't control how much is on a page because the user can change the font size. Their is a learning curve to making a Kindle book. The system memory is not expandable and the battery is straight out of Jobs school of no user replaceable battery (which after using an iPhone for a year with zero problems I'm not so freaked about). I say always do this with gadget. Calculate your daily costs for 1 year. If $0.98 a day seems high to own one. Don't buy it.

Making your own content for the Kindle is really easy. Really. You do have to reformat your existing work probably.

I foresee a day when the Kindle 6 is the modern equivalent of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and we all have one that we use to figure out how to set the clock on our HD DVRs.

No comments: