Monday, July 23, 2007

Ativa™ USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 8GB at Office Depot.

Ativa™ USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 8GB at Office Depot.

I picked up one of these drives on sale at OD this weekend. I had just received by Netvantage rebate so combined my out-of-pocket was about $85. I could've gotten a slightly cheaper drive online but I like the convenience of return to my local store.

The drive is lightweight barely weighing anything. It's a little long since the cap flips and stays on. But still - it's 8 gigs! It was not U3 compatible but that's okay I've been wanting to try out John T. Haller's PortableApps.com menuing system anyway. After all I'm pretty sure I'm not going to stop trying different sticks until I have a nice 16GB one.

The speed of the stick is great. Much faster than the 1,2, and 4 Sandisk I own. And I've put some pretty big things on it with no problems. Comes with a black lanyard (few do these days) and was manufactured in China. No mention on the packaging but OD website says it has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

I've loaded it up with almost all of the more popular apps from PortableApps.com and it seems to handle them fine. Everything runs and I have no trouble saving and reopening files.

The housing is a shiny grey plastic that looks like it is only slightly scratch-resistant. Not a big concern to me. Have no regrets on the purchase but as always - shop around.

YMMV.

No comments: